Total Pageviews

Thursday 13 October 2011

Where is all my water gone?

This week  the 3rd - 9th of October is Recycling week in the workplace, and Repak are asking us to try to recycle more than we are at present.
You may have heard their ads on the radio.
The thing that puzzles me is the request that we either rinse or wash out the products we are recycling.
The average tap flows at a rate of 6 ltr per minute so even if you were to take only 30 seconds rinsing/washing your containers that's at least 3 litres of water down the drain.
Is this not an environmentally unsound practise to be wasting all this water.
At what point are we benefitting the planet by recycling.
I wonder if business owners realise the added cost to their overheads what  with all their staff  washing out their coffee cups from Starbucks.
Is is really neccessary to wash/rinse products before recycling?
It may not be best practise but I think as long as what your recycling is not reeking just toss it in.
Lets save our more precious resource - water.

1 comment:

  1. I find it hard to understand the idea of saving water...I can understand that water is expensive to use...and so we need to take care of how we use it...but I once saw and amazing documentry on water on our planet and how water is constantly being recycled naturally and with all the melting of the ice in the North Pole..it's seems to me unlikely that we will have a water shortage.....just a thought....

    ReplyDelete